Friday, October 2, 2009

Celebration Catering- Possible Caterer

We met with Celebration Catering this week to do a preliminary tasting of some of the hors 'douvres we'll be having at the wedding. We're pretty sure we're going to go with this caterer so I'm posting pics of what will probably be served at the reception. (spoiler alert!!)

We met with Megan who was so nice and very eager to please but not overbearing. She’s the first vendor I’ve spoken to (haven’t spoken to very many but still) who didn’t try to tell me how things WILL be done but rather genuinely listened to what I wanted. The food was delicious. Some things better than others but it gave us a great idea of portion size and how many pieces we expect each person will be having. I took a few pictures to show both the size and the presentation. We didn’t get to sample everything (nor do I think we could have eaten that much) but she’s going to get me pictures of the remaining items so I can see size and color combos.



Crab rolls- by far the best bang for our buck! Each one is about the size of a large eggroll and because it’s fried, it’ll help absorb some of the alcohol in guests. Creamy middle and very easy to eat. I think Curtis and I dub this as our favorite.



Raspberry Chipotle Chicken Roulade- good and filling. Lots of chicken (as you can see) with a hint of spicy/sweetness that was very nice. Again, filling because of the cream cheese and chicken.


Baked Brie Crostini with Strawberries and Praline drizzle- excellent but very small. And unless you like the Brie/sweet combo, I don’t think you’d like this. Since we have a lot of my family members coming we’ve lowered the quantity of this a bit and upped the quantity of the crab rolls.


Shrimp Baguettes- This was another in my top picks too. 2 bite piece that’s easy to eat and oh so delicious. To me, the presentation is the best on this one and I’m a huge fan of creamy cheeses (I believe this is a dill cream cheese) with dill so it was a hit with me. The sprig of dill as garnish made me happy. J



Cheese tortellini with garlic cream sauce, sun dried tomatoes, pine nuts, scallions and basil- excellent as well. This is something I’m working with them on with presentation. The picture is about 2-3 servings (6 pieces a serving) and my vision is to have these brought out in high ball glasses with a pretty fork or spoon in it. it’s easy to carry around and easy to eat plus it prevents one person from serving themselves 5 servings out of a chafing dish. J also considering a martini glass serving presentation but I’m leaning towards a simple high ball right now.


I think what ultimately won be over (besides the price of course) was the fact that Megan was 100% on board with anything I wanted to do. I’m 86ing any and all things related to the average catered buffet so no chafing dishes, no sterno, no bunched table cloths, no fake vines, absolutely no animals, people or things made out of fruit or cheese. She wasn’t offended by that and is completely open to me setting up the displays and they just put out the food. They’ll have the chafing dishes in the back if needed but they won’t be on the floor. It feels too buffet and it’s not a buffet reception. I found a picture I’m stoked about and want to use this as a jumping off point for displaying the food.




It looks like either glass or acrylic slabs held up by vases full of roses and orchids. I plan on having candles underneath (if glass) to keep the heat up a bit for the hot choices. However, I’m completely in love with the display and it looks very elegant.
Looking forward to putting all of this together!!! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment